Well, after a miserable failure trying to machine the ironbark wooden dies (in part 2), I headed off to the local “home improvement centre” and picked up some new oak.
I was really after some “F17″ which is a structural timber, but I haven’t bought it for a few years, and now it is manufactured by laminating thin pieces (maybe 1/8” thick) together. I figured if you tried to turn this in a wood lathe, you’d forever be tearing out end grain and make a mess of the die.
So I headed over to the other timber racks and found some oak, right width, but thin enough that would require three pieces to be laminated together.
Pics following, pretty self explanatory. Since I cut these with my trusty Makita jigsaw using the circle cutting guide, the edges are not perpendicular to the faces due to blade deflection. I was expecting this, so I made sure I cut them oversize. Since they were a bit ratty, I used a nail as a centering “dowel” or pin for the three pieces when I glued them up.
|Marked out and jig saw with circle guide attached.|
|Blanks x 3|
|As mentioned the edges are not square because of blade deflection cutting around a circle|
|Hardware variety PVA wood glue, nail as a centering dowel|
The blank is awaiting lathe time to see whether we can make a decent wooden die. Stay tuned….