I love my Dyna, but its lacking luggage-carrying capability, so I thought I should fabricate a luggage rack for an upcoming camping trip.
In this timelapse build video, you can see the steps I used to design and fabricate the support brackets, then use round steel bar to bend up and weld the rack itself.
Want more detail? There’s an expanded 30 minute version of this build on my training website, where you can hear me explain the build steps and process in lots of detail. Check it out here:
RELATED TO THIS VIDEO:
Other videos and articles in the “Welding and Fabrication” series:
- Essential tools for metal fabrication: https://krankengineering.com/tech/essential-tools-metal-fabrication
- Introduction to welding: https://krankengineering.com/tech/introduction-to-welding/
- Ultra basic overview – Arc welding: https://youtu.be/nr1z1VBToyM
- Ultra basic overview – MIG welding: https://youtu.be/9l50t-XsBt4
- Ultra basic overview – TIG welding: https://youtu.be/OXr05f3Dwsg
- Your first TIG welding lesson: https://krankengineering.com/tech/first-tig-welding-lesson/
- How to weld repair cast iron: https://youtu.be/xbLZQCOV9jg
- Getting started with metalshaping – beater bags & mallets: https://youtu.be/_FTH9dsxoZw
- Getting started with metalshaping – tucking forks: https://youtu.be/_FTH9dsxoZw
- Getting started with metalshaping – making a shrinking bowl – part 1: https://youtu.be/-MqEKY0gBYg
- Getting started with metalshaping – making a shrinking bowl – part 2: https://youtu.be/gg1fU-eqUjA
- Getting started with metalshaping – hammer and dollies: https://youtu.be/zYuqNybZ8IE
- Getting started with metalshaping – slapping hammer: https://youtu.be/sf81yqLUrwg
- How to QUICKLY layout bike lines with a wireframe buck: https://youtu.be/_wUf6Jj9za8
- How to anneal aluminium: https://krankengineering.com/tech/how-to-anneal-aluminium/
GET NOTIFIED BY EMAIL WHEN ANY NEW STUFF COMES OUT:
I believe anyone can build their own custom motorcycle. I believe you should enjoy that sense of satisfaction that comes from creating something with your own hands. I believe you don’t have to pay someone else to do it.