So today I ground the protruding spokes flush with nipple:
The top two have been ground, the bottom two are next up.
I just used a grinding disc on my 5″ grinder to poke into the center or the rim:
’twas fun getting that pic, one hand holding the grinder (trying to NOT grind my vintage aluminium alloy rim) and one hand on the iPhone .
For a bit of extra protection I wrapped a couple of layers of regular electrical tape onto the back of the protruding spokes. Yes I still fitted rubber rim tape, I just wanted to be sure I didn’t nick the tube:
Then it was off to my local shop to have him fit the rim. For $20 bucks and a thirty minute round trip, that step is not worth doing myself, especially as I don’t want to damage my alloy rim.
I also built up one of my front ends (dry, no oil, just to get the ride height) so once the rear wheel was back I had to mock up the bike:
With the 21″ front and 18″ rear it looks pretty good. Next I’ll start stripping my running bike and transferring parts across to this project bike.